JOB VACANCY - FARM MECHANIC
Mechanic/Fitter to look after our farm vehicle and machinery fleet. Based near Ross-on-Wye the role would suit a person who is looking for a challenge in a busy and diverse environment and is a self-determined starter who can prioritise and schedule maintenance programmes. There will be a requirement to be responsive to the needs of the everyday farm business.
The farm has a diverse range of farm machinery as well as a large vehicle fleet. The right person will also be required to direct farm staff and sub-contractors on scheduled and reactive tasks.
Tractors are maintained by a local firm leaving a fleet of various commercial large vans, small vans and 4x4s along with various other mechanical machinery.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of responsibilities:
- Implementation of repairs, servicing and breakdowns
- Liaise with internal and external customers
- Manage work priorities
- Build a rapport with all departments of the farm
- Knowledge of a large range of farm vehicles and machinery is advantageous
- Fabricate parts or components
- Ensuring that all work/maintenance is recorded and carried out in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures
- Road testing vehicles and carrying out necessary inspections (MOT preparation)
- Schedule maintenance periods for all vehicle & mechanical equipment and maintain appropriate records
- Assist with necessary audits
- Comply with HSE requirements
- Maintain parts/stores register
- Control and issue equipment and stores (including PPE)
Working with a self-employed mechanic supporting you, you would be responsible for ensuring prioritisation of work between you and also taking control of the workshop facilitates, ensuring that annual inspections are successful. Having an understanding of H&S legislation and supporting the ongoing farm business working to the same goal is essential.
The business is looking for a fully motivated self-starter to take ownership of this position and work together with all sectors of the business (arable, soft fruits, production, maintenance).
40 hour week (although needs to be flexible especially during the farms high intensity periods)
Salary TBC (competitive)